Tuesday, February 9, 2010

On The Wings of Love

I might as well come right out and say it: I am addicted to 'The Bachelor.' I don't know why, I don't know how it all even started, but I can't get enough of it. Thank Goodness we can download it from Graboid out here, or I don't know what I would do with myself! Although I truly detest most reality shows (especially because one of my favorite sitcoms of all time got cancelled because it didn't have as high of ratings as the reality shows on the network,) I cannot deny that The Bachelor makes me giddy. And this goes the same for The Bachelorette.


My best friend Kat and I would tivo it when we were roomies and wait until we both had the evening free and have our special little night. We'd break out the wine and usually some hummus and veggies and yell at the screen as if it were Monday night football. We became so invested in these people, and we'd catch ourselves talking about them like they were in our circle of friends, and crack ourselves up. That's probably where I really began to love The Bachelor. It was something really fun for Kat and I to do together.


But then, what was once a delightful little past time with a friend becomes an obsession. I'd find myself running into people at auditions, or chatting with people at work and The Bachelor would come up. I'd get into HEATED debates! "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Kypton is totally wrong for Jillian! She belongs with Ed!" (Which, by the way, I was totally right about, all you nay-sayers.) I started getting nervous at the rose ceremonies, my pulse would be racing and I'd breath a sigh of relief when my favorites were handed a rose. I'd also argue with the television when the poor naive bachelor or bachelorette picked someone that I knew was not the right person for them.


Now I have forced my boyfriend Del to be my Bachelor buddy, since my bestie is back in the states. I have to say, he gets pretty involved. But mostly he just loves to sing "On The Wings of Love," because it is the cheesy theme song of this season, since Jake, The Bachelor, is a pilot. However, Kat and I have a regular Skype date mid-week once we have both watched the weeks episode so we can discuss what has happened. Kat relayed to me last week that she made the detrimental mistake of inviting non-Bachelor watching people over to her apartment in the hopes they would get as into the show as we are. After having to pause the show repeatedly because they were socializing and she couldn't concentrate on the show, she realized her mistake.


As an actor, I should completely protest a reality show like the Bachelor that is taking up a two hour time slot that could be filled with shows that would give my fellow actors and myself work. But instead, I guiltily hunker down with a glass of wine and some snacks, ready to help The Bachelor find love. (He needs me, you know.)


1 comment:

  1. God has gifted you with writing skills
    I enjoyed visiting your blog
    God Bless
    http://westbob.blogspot.com/2010/02/philippians-46-9-be-anxious-for-nothing.html

    ReplyDelete