Friday, February 12, 2010

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

I'm a "girly" girl. I love shopping, fashion, and celebrity gossip. I wish I could wear nothing but Betsey Johnson dresses, jewelry and shoes and have someone do my hair and make up everyday. I like getting facials and pedicures. Having an occasion to wear fake eyelashes makes me giddy.

And I like to dance in a circle with my girl friends.

I'd like to think I'm not a total walking cliche because I do also have a "tough as nails" side. I don't back down from a challenge. Anyone who knows me is aware that I will speak my mind and lay the "smackdown" on anyone who ticks me off. I don't like "cattiness" because I actually feel like that is super unladylike.

But I don't know one lady on this planet who doesn't like singing along to music and dancing with their girl friends. Even if you don't like to do it in a public place, you still gotta admit, there's nothing like it. Maybe there is some specific endorphin that only chicks have that gets released when they stand in a circle (all fallopian tubes side by side as if they are holding hands) and jam out to 80's, 90's and 00's pop music. Yes, there will be some "acting out of the lyrics," hair tossing and "Woooooooooo!"'s. That's what we do.

Sometimes, when things get really intense, shoes are tossed aside, but I want it to be known that I do not support that. I am of the belief that you keep your shoes on no matter how much they hurt. If you can't dance in them, you shouldn't have worn them. You chose them to complete your ensemble, so for goodness sake, keep them on (I don't care how cute your pedi is, sweetie.)

Amazingly, I often forget how good it feels! I went out last night for my friend Tori's birthday to a bar and there were about 8 of us girls who danced away inside while the boys all drank beer and talked sports (or whatever those types of humans talk about) outside at a table. AT A TABLE! There's Katy Perry singing, "Hot and Cold" in the bar and you are sitting at a table outside talking?! Insanity! I'd come outside every once in a while to be the good girlfriend and check in, and inevitably another song would come on that was too good to resist. At one point, I had just stepped outside and a Pitbull song came on. My girl friend Crista and I just looked at each other like, "Oh, it's time to go back inside." And made a bee line for the dance floor.

We were only there a short time, but I had such a blast. Along with writing my blog everyday, my next "feel good" goal is to go dancing with the girls AT LEAST twice a month. And, I'm sorry boys, but we are going to have to leave you at home. You just don't get it. I mean, it's a commitment. It was Tori's birthday and she danced her necklace off! She had started to swing it around her neck as a very creative, prop-assisted dance move and she danced that adorable bobble right off. One minute we were watching in awe, the next we were all squinted through the lights of the strobe, searching the ground for the missing pieces. She also had little shorts under her dress so she could really be free to perform any dance move that struck her. I really admire her as a foward-thinker.
It was a night I was really happy to be a girl. I don't think guys know the feeling! I hope you are with me ladies. We need another night to boogie!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE Betsey Johnson dresses (and false eyelashes!). What a great piece this is, Erin! You all look GORGEOUS (love your new hair!). I'm so glad I'm a girl and can dance in a circle with my friends, too. I feel bad that there's some "guy code" out there that prevents them from doing the same.

    Your post reminds me that it's been a while since I've hit the dance floor with my girl buds, I need to remedy that soon!

    Great post, Babe! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete