Friday, February 5, 2010

Back in the Saddle


I haven't "blogged" in quite a long time. I'd like to say it's because I have been extremely busy, but that's not the case. In fact, if I had been busy I would more likely be writing. But, my new commitment to myself is that I will write a new blog everyday. And, I'm sure I will have little failings here and there, but for the most part, I'd like to stick to it.


The main reason I haven't written is that I haven't been overwhelmingly happy in Singapore. I always find it so much harder to be creative when I'm in a "blah" state of mind. I think I have finally, in the past couple of days, been able to admit that I'm in a rut and it's actually helped tremendously. Now I can actually try and do something to turn it around instead of wallowing in it.


I talk to my parents almost every day on the phone and my dad (who very rarely gets sappy) said, "We really miss you. It's different then when you were in California. You're just so much farther away, it makes it harder." And of course, my big 'ol eyes immediately fill with tears. It's true. As much as I repeated to everyone at home in Florida, "It'll be just like it was when I was in California, I just can't come home as often!" It's not like I'm in California, at all. I am having a very homesick week.

Singapore is not what I expected at all, although how could I possibly know what to expect? I can't help but be thankful and grateful for all the lessons I am learning on patience and adapting to another culture. And all the reasons I came out here are still valid. The universe is constantly sending me signs that everything will be okay and I feel fortunate for that. I inexplicably have the song, "Don't Worry, Be Happy," in my head today, so obviously someone or something is trying to send me a message, albeit through Bobby McFarren.
The park is still not open officially yet. I have done a few days of practice sets for employees, and I just started rehearsals for the Chingay Parade for the Chinese New Year so that should be fun. Apparently Chingay is a lot like our Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's a really big deal in Singapore and our float for Universal is pretty amazing. I get to see it in person for the first time tonight.

This entry was just to scratch the surface. I had to jump back in to writing so I apologize that this blog is sort of scattered and not a very thrilling story, but that's where I am today. Stay tuned for more tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for you!! Welcome back!! I missed reading your words!

    I'm with Mr. McFarren, it's going to be OK, Babe. Hang in there!

    Wish I could see you in the parade, I bet you're fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog from that "Naked" blogger above!! :D I'm guessing you're in Singapore as a "parkie"? For me writing is like exercise-it's the times that I least feel like it that I need it the most! Writing, like running, "always" makes me feel better.

    Thank you for sharing yourself with the world!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joan! I always love having your support!

    Yes, "Getting my words out," (sorry, you didn't mention your name!) I'm a "parkie." I was an Orlando parkie, Hollywood parkie and now a Singaporean parkie.

    Thanks so much for reading!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete